Sázava & surroundings

Turism

City

Sázava

History

Beginnings of settlement date back to prehistoric agricultural season, when the local area mined crystalline limestone, from which they made beads and bracelets. The land is of two prehistoric settlement and Slavic settlement from the 8th and 9th centuries. The history of the famous monastery Sázavského then begins circa. 1032. The origin of the monastery, the center and symbol of Slavic education, became prince Oldřich and the hermit Prokop.

The modern history of the town is closely linked to the tradition of Czech glassmaking. The oldest Sázavská works, christened Svatoprokopská, founded in. 1837 Czech glassmaker and entrepreneur Frantisek Kavalir, he survived. Smelter Josef (from r. 1902) and Francis (from r. 1882), however, still stands ; the second one is based Center for glass arts with visiting an exhibition of collections of art glass.

Landscape and nature

Sázava lies on Posázavský trail, which is one of the oldest and most interesting landscape marked hiking trails. Results from the confluence of the Sázava and Vltava through Pikovice to Čerčan and then continues along the river to Zdar to the sources Sázava. Through the town also sought Posázavská bike trail. Even today we can get an idea of ​​the original forest near Sazava in two nearby national nature reserves: Voděradské beech and in the cold. Mostly beech forests is nearly identical to the original forests. Some massive beech reach the age of over 250 years. On the territory of the town itself is worth, whether alone, in groups, or in the alley, over 200 years old linden cordate, broadleaf lindens, oaks. In the surrounding countryside can be seen not only representative of the normal flora, but also many rare and protected animals. Sázava neighborhood is a very interesting place for ornithologists, anglers and other nature lovers.

www

Chateau

Sázava monastery

The Sázava Monastery is a Benedictine abbey and a monastery established by Bretislaus I, Duke of Bohemia near Prague around 1032.

An ancient monastery towering on a rocky cliff over one of many meanders of the romantic Sázava River is referred to in connection with the Bohemian national saint, St. Procopius. In the early times, the monastery was famous as a center of Slavic liturgy and education. So far, it’s been the place of pilgrimage to St. Procopius, and the authentic witness of ten centuries of the Czech history, with numerous buildings from various historical eras and art styles

www

Castle

Český Šternberk

The Český Šternberk castle was built around 1241 by Zdeslav of Divišov, who named it after his coat of arms, an eight-pointed star, calling it Sternberg (Stern = star, Berg = mountain, Šternberk is the Czech spelling) according to the custom at the time of using German names. He also adopted the new territorial surname “ze Sternberga” (“of Sternberg”). One remarkable fact is that the castle is still owned by the same family as almost 800 years ago. The current owner is a descendant in the 20th generation of the founder. In 1467 the castle was taken and later renovated in the late Gothic style. Improvements were made especially to the castle defences, such as a south-facing projecting bastion built “en bec” (with a sharp beak) called the Dungeon, which today serves as a look-out point. Extensive early Baroque renovations were carried out in the second half of the 1600s, when the castle no longer served its original defensive purposes and an effort was made to ensure the comfort of its inhabitants. Since that time the stone walls of this Gothic castle have been home to a chateau interior. After lifestyle changes in the early 20th c entury the castle was fitted with electricity, indoor plumbing and central heating. We would like to invite you to take a tour of the castle, during which you can visit 15 richly appointed rooms furnished in the style of various historical periods, learn about important members of the Sternberg family and catch a glimpse of their way of life. You can also see the unique Šternberk collection of copper engravings from the Thirty Years’ War, which is one of the largest monothematic collections of engravings in Europe.

www

Chateau

Konopiště

It was probably founded by the Prague bishop Tobias of Benešov around 1294, following the typical design of French fortresses with cylindrical towers, a fortified watchtower, four gates, and a drawbridge.

Visit The state rooms in the south wing were furnished in Baroque styl, the hunting corridor, period bathroom, famous armoury (the richest in the Czech lands) chapel and lift.

www

Chateau

Žleby

Původně gotický hrad s prvními zmínkami z roku 1289, o téměř 600 let později byl přebudován ve stylu romantické novogotiky. Navštivte reprezentační sály, zámeckou zbrojnici s ojedinělou sbírkou zbraní a zbroje, romantické interiéry, zámeckou kuchyni s dochovalým provozním zázemím a přípravnou jídel, unikátní zámecké divadlo s historickou scénou a zákulisím, divadelním zázemím a sbírkou historických kostýmů, nebo se projděte v zámeckém parku.

www

Kácov brewers

Hubertus

If you are not interested only in the final product but also in its way of obtaining this golden treasure, don't hesitate to book a tour in this brewery.

www

City

Kutná Hora

Visit famous church of Saint Barbora, the Valachian courtyards, Stony house, Chappel of God's bod, Stony fountain, or dive undergroung to the silver mines

www

Kutná Hora - Sedlec

Cemetery Church of All Saints with Ossuary

The Sedlec Ossuary is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints, part of the former Sedlec Abbey in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, whose bones have, in many cases, been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

www